Hi everyone, non Muslim here. I would like to know what is your opinion about Bollywood movie "Padmavaat". I am warning you, there will be spoilers below.

First time I saw it, I enjoyed as it has beautiful cinematography, epic story, great acting from the three main actors and some of the supporting ones and nice music.

However, when I rewatched it later on, I found it really islamophobic as the main character is based on an actual Islamic Moghol ruler who in reality was well appreciated among his subjects as wise and rational, while in the movie he is depicted as a cruel, rapist, murdering and greedy king. Also his slave Malik Kafur is islamic and is depicted as a psychopath in the movie. All of the Islamic characters are negative : there is one greedy and cruel emperor, one scheming nephew of the king Alahuddin who is also shown as rather coward. The only positive islamic character is the 'Malika-i-jahan Mehrunissa'. I don't say that all Islamic characters in movies must be depicted in good light but I think this movie only depicts negative ones and as most of the characters are based on real life historical characters who were nothing like their movies counterparts, that is problematic to me.

On the opposite, the Hindu king, his wife and courtmen are depicted as wise, brave and kind hearted rulers and courtesans. You have only one negative Hindu character.

Another aspect is that I know in India there's a stereotype that Muslim men tend to enslave non islamic women. In this movie, King Alahuddin constantly does derogatory sexual things like this : he has intercourse with a woman during his wedding ceremony while his wife is waiting for him to come, he has sexual overtones with one of his captives in a scene, in another scene he is shown being offered another female captive for his pleasure. Not much of Afghan medieval culture is shown also, which I found a waste.

Again non muslim, so I am interested in knowing how islamic people receive this movie ?

submitted by /u/Mysterious-Emu4030
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/mEP1D73
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours