I was pretty neutral to Islam but with the recent terrorist attacks, my opinion of Islam is at an all time low right now. So I figure I should at least try to understand your religion more instead of just hate. I read a bit on wiki and this subs and have two questions about your concept of "peace". I will say this first in case someone may get offended: the reasons I am asking these is because I don't want to lose to hatred and knowledge is the best cure to the fear of the unknown. Normally I would learn on my own but I feel I am getting radicalized too fast with these attacks and a lack of truly positive response from the Islam community so I decided to get a direct conversation instead.

Most obvious problem to me is Islam seems to only allow peace when there is no oppression to its religion. So when the laws of a secular country specifically allows for violations of some core tenets of your religion (like the caricatures), does it mean the attacks are justified under Islamic laws because they are fighting against oppression? I understand Islam specifically allows coexistence of different belief system. However, my question is about when these belief systems promote direct opposition to Islamic laws. What then? Do you think most Islamic followers would respect the constitution over sharia laws if those two directly clash? To me it seems a society must choose between allowing all Islamic laws or risk war against Islam and that look awfully like coercion...

Also, is it appropriate to call Islam a religion of peace when the history of your religion is so intertwined with war and the Quran has so much content about when and how to wage wars? My impression is that your religion spread through conquests, immigration, and severe consequences to apostates. This impression is probably wrong though I admit I have not seen convincing evidences to the contrary. Please help me understand these things.

Trust me I also read about the good of Islam but I don't think I need to preach to the choir here. And also, I understand Islam is not a monolithic group. There are many different parts of your community and only small sections are extremists. Therefore, I would prefer it if you can reply with hard numbers and statistical facts instead of just quoting different interpretations of the Quran. For example, you can quote many phrases from the Quran in opposition of punishments to apostasy but that means little in practice when the act of renouncing one's faith carries legal punishments in a significant numbers of Islamic countries and severe social repercussion in other places. I get that avoiding a theological debate when talking about religion is kind of a cop out but honestly, I don't want to know the academic side of your religion. I want to see Islam as it actually is in the practical world, how it impacts and affects societies and people, not just on paper. Sorry if this sounds like a bad faith argument but that is how I see things.

submitted by /u/HonestThrowaway_
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/37WfNdO
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours