Hi everyone,

I'm writing this on the spur of the moment, sry if this is a little bit messed up.

So to talk a little bit about me, I'm French, I'm non muslim (I joined this sub today to write this and to know more about Islam), and I've lived like you the recent events in France. As such, I wanted to do this post to share my thoughts and my fears :

I've seen a lot on discussion everywhere on what happened, on this sub, on French subs, on French newpapers, etc.. First I want to say one thing : France doesn't hate muslims. Or at least it's complicated. I explain :

Historically, France has always separated state and religion. So the average frenchmen (me included) thinks that no religion should tell what's wrong or right. During the recent years, there has been growing pressure on Islam in France, particularly with the rise of the terrorist attacks in the country (Charlie Hebdo, Bataclan, etc...).

On one side, muslims tell that they are not associated with terrorists, even if they sometimes back their motivations (particularly in the case of the drawings of Charlie). They feel also disrespected in their religion, as their place in society is a touchy subject (see the niqab ban for example)

On the other side far-right people say that Islam threatens France, and that it's a danger for its core values. They are often islamophobic and see Islam as a kind of agression.

When the recent events occured, it's been yet an other shock for French society, because it's a symbolic attack : a teacher was beheaded because he taught the core values of France to pupils. He was not even trying to disrespect Islam, as he let muslims children the choice to leave the class temporarily. Still he has been assassinated for that.

So when Macron tells that he supports the drawings of the prophet, he's doing so because a part of France is scared by an attack on its core values (and not only to appeal to a part of his voters, as I saw somewhere in a comment). In France, the average people is not islamophobic, but does think that people should have the right to mock any religious figure if they want to, as they think that religion is not higher than freedom of speech (even if there are limits that I will not detail as I'm not an expert on the associated laws and legislations). Of course that feeling gets different when you ask French muslims, and this is telling of the unease about Islam in France.

So in the end, why doing this post ? Well mostly because I'm scared. I'm scared of all of this. I feel like we're living at a time where everybody becomes more and more radicalized each day. I'm sad to see people attacking France as a whole, because I feel like it will only fuel more far-right haters who want to see Islam persecuted and terrorists who want to see the French values destroyed. It will not only do that, but also polarise even more French society... It's a vicious circle

All I want to say is that depsite what it may seems from a muslim point of view, France is not an enemy of Islam. But I'm afraid it could little by little become one, the same way I'm afraid of growing hate towards France.

I hope I have not offended anyone by sharing this here. Thanks for reading.

TLDR : World is complicated bc there's a lot of ppl that don't agree with each other, but hopefully we can still talk and not hate one another for our beliefs.

submitted by /u/LedruRollin
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3e0MIyP
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours