I have been practising on my prayer citation and have been going to introduction to Islam classes. My partner (born Muslim) and I are getting married next month and we decided that I would take my Shahada before that.

My partners family friend is an Imam who they have known for a long time (over 70 years of age). He sent me an 'Introduction to Islam' book to read which was around 60 pages. I was told to read that before the Shahada.

To the day of the Shahada. Went to the local mosque with my partners family and prayed with everyone there. Over 100 people approx. Before we prayed the Imam asked me if what my new name was going to be. For which I said I didn't know (but I have no desire to change my name). He then said he would ask me two questions regarding the introduction to Islam book (hoping he would ask me in private...)

After we finished the maghrib prayer, I went to the front with the Imam to begin the Shahada with everyone still in attendance watching. Before we started he introduced me to everyone and then said he has two questions regarding the book I read. I began to panic.

He asked me a question for that I can't really recall other than it was around the first chapter in the book. I read that around 2-3 weeks before this and with over 100 people looking I really began to panic and started rambling about the pillars of Islam, but that wasn't the answer to his question. He questioned why I didn't know as it was an important part of the book.

He then went to the second question for which I still don't know what he asked as he had a strong accent and I was really in full panic mode by this stage. I said I don't know the answer and then he said that we will have to postpone the Shahada til next week...

I was distraught. My partners dad and her brother was in the front row and they were protested along with others that the Shahada should still go ahead. After some convincing I did take the Shahada (in English translation). Everyone was very nice afterwards and I shook lots of brothers hands.

This experience has left me with an extremely bad taste and it's been hard to forget about. My parents (who are not religious at all) are pretty upset too and have lots of questions on why this happened.

submitted by /u/Fluffy-Professional5
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/IptHPRA
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours