Hi so I am a convert to islam from Judaism. I never practiced but my last name is Jewish. I chose not to change my name because it’s my identity and I know it would hurt my mother to feel so separated from the name she gave me and the surname I was born with. Also I am not biologically related to my last name from my fathers side, but I still refuse to change it as it is a connection between my and my mom

However im seeing a girl who I am looking to marry. She says that I need to change my name or at the very least my last name for fear of kids being shunned or ridiculed in the Muslim community. She says that other families would not want to marry them because they have a Jewish last name or that other kids would make fun of them or they would be shunned or excluded from other Muslim families. She also says if we were to travel to Muslim countries they would be at risk and people would question them because of their last names.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions around this? Or any experience in similar situations? I’m new to the Muslim community so I can’t say much about what to expect

submitted by /u/Impressive-Purple845
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/NB5e3Oy
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours