Sorry for the confusing title, but it leads into something I dealt with yesterday. Me and my friends were on YouTube, watching videos on religions/culture/cool conspiracies because it seemed interesting, and then I started asking two of my friends who were catholic about parts of their religion.

At that moment they started joking around, saying stuff like comparing Jesus and their religious figures to Marvel characters and saying that his birth made Mary's husband a cuckold.

I was really shocked by this, and asked why they would blatantly insult their own religion and commit blasphemy. They told me that unlike their religion they don't get stoned for having fun, and that their God allows them to joke around. I tried explaining that we share the same God but by that point they started making fun of Islam. At that point there was nothing I could do; I wasn't personally offended, I heard the jokes a million times but when it's 2v1 there isn't much I can do to get things to stop.

I told them I didn't care if they were attacking me, I was just legitimately confused why they were insulting their own religion, and they explained that Jesus died for their sins so it's fine for them to do that.

Ultimately much of this is my fault. We spend a lot of time making edgy jokes about other peoples and culture, although we never actually bore any hatred in their hearts for them. I guess they just thought religion wasn't a taboo topic either. At the very least it taught me I need to be a better Muslim and guard my tongue.

I guess my question is why so many Christians feel okay turning their religion into a parody of itself for laughs and why they think following it strictly means that you can't have fun. I've told them time and time again that that kind of behavior makes them no better than Reddit soy boys but they don't seem to listen.

submitted by /u/superyoshiom
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3EMQeZA
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours