A few weeks ago I moved in with my sister and brother in law. They just bought a big house and I'll be saving a lot on rent so it made sense for me.

My brother in law is a practicing Muslim and only eats halal meat. When they asked me to move in, we discussed the food situation since I'm not Muslim and don't eat halal. We concluded that I wouldn't buy any pork (that's fair, no complaints from me), but I could buy regular chicken and beef as long as I only cooked it on my own cookware.

Once I moved in he pivoted and now says he doesn't want any non halal meat in the house at all. But he also says that if I order takeout from a non halal restaurant that's fine, which is just kind of inconsistent and doesn't make much sense to me. The halal meat available to us is really expensive so I don't want to buy it. He said he'll cover the cost difference for the more expensive meat, which I appreciate, but it will also be kind of annoying to calculate the cost difference every time I buy something. Ultimately I'm going to abide by his wishes because it's his house and I don't want to be disrespectful. I just wanted to get some other perspectives.

I'm not asking "is he right or wrong" because this is a judgement call and there's no singular right or wrong answer. But I feel like this is a bit over the top. He's not eating the meat. The meat wouldn't be cooked on their cookware and it would even be stored in a separate refrigerator. I don't see what the big deal is. I'd be curious to see what his Imam would say if he asked, but I haven't brought that up.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

submitted by /u/DuncePatrol
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3vpbhOM
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours