Salam alaikum. I am a revert of one year since the 3rd of October, and I would like to share a bit how Islam has helped shape my life. My apologies if it seems a bit rushed and ranty, but I’m writing this on my phone.

I was raised by my Catholic grandmother for about 6 years. (Ages 12-18) She was very verbally abusive, and sometimes physically abusive as well. My uncle lived with us as well and he had a lot of issues with drugs like heroin and was abusive too, and would often make threats about killing us and he would beat his girlfriend. He behaved very erratic and paranoid, he would think he would see messages in the newspapers and often have strips of shredded paper scattered about his room. Under his bed was a box of needles. His room had cups filled with urine and feces.

My grandma would often blame his messy behavior on me if I didn’t pick up after him. Rather than yelling at him for not doing something, I would get screamed at for not doing it for him.

My grandma and uncle being religious and acting this way pushed me away from religion, and I began to face even more abuse for not attending church.

Fast forward a bit and I am living with my grandfather (her ex husband). He is one if the sweetest people I know and I appreciate him so much for everything he has done for me. Seriously, he’s the most generous person I know. However, even though things were much better, I still felt a bit empty and lost. I had no idea what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I tried schooling for fine arts for a bit but lost interest.

Eventually, because of some events with muslims I knew online, I began doing research on Islam. I did have a bit of a hard heart going into it because of my prior experiences with religious people.

Subhanallah! It was nothing like I expected. The community was very warm and friendly, and answered any questions I had, even ones that some may consider offensive or ignorant.

I eventually reverted. My family, while a bit ignorant, was generally supportive about my choice. I decided to work at an elderly home. I loved my work and found something I was truly passionate about.

During my first Ramadan I met my now husband. I was initially hesitant about Islamic marriage, but alhamdulillah it was one of the best choices I’ve made. He has helped me so much with prayers and other Islamic lifestyle changes. I have now moved in with him, and I am going to nursing because of my passion of working with the elderly.

If you told me back when I lived with my grandma that I would be married, have my own apartment, have found the truth, and have found my ideal career, I wouldn’t have believed you at all. While I do still suffer issues because of my past, I am very thankful that my grandpa, husband, and most importantly, Allah swt have helped improve my life in such a way.

submitted by /u/littlescurvy
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3vT2WTu
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours