Ok, so this one kind of defies any real attempt at a title so I'm going to just dive in.

A close friend within a group of us that have known each other for years recently converted to Islam. Nobody has any issues but the circumstances are...a bit unusual.

He messaged me a few weeks ago and asked if I had any "calming" music and I said I had music that I personally listen to when I want to settle down (this was one of the songs I sent him) but I wasn't sure if he'd agree.

That was the last I heard until about a week ago. I hear through another mutual friend that he took a pretty hardcore dose of mushrooms and had...an as-yet undefined experience, and then converted to Islam. Now, he's not a habitual mushroom user and doesn't do much beyond a few beers with friends, but every few months he has a mushroom session to help with depression. It's been a regular thing for a few years now.

This latest round, as far as I'm aware, was not atypical of his frequency of use.

As a group, we're not sure how to handle this. His conversion seems to be genuine as far as any of us can tell, none of us are Muslim, and he seems very earnest about it. He's been reading the Qu'aran regularly and basically everything he can get his hands on, swore off drinking and mushrooms, and has been looking for a local mosque to attend.

We want to be supportive but we're not sure how this will play out in the days and weeks to come or if this is an experience that's going to be readily accepted by the umah in general.

Are there ecstatic traditions within Islam?

How can we support whatever path he might decide to take?

submitted by /u/HeloRising
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/2N8dmdE
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours