TL;DR --> pretty much just the title

Context I used to work at a local pizza shop, and it was run by a family from Morocco. I got to know the owner himself quite well, and he and his father (the latter of which barely speaks any English) were helping me learn some basic Arabic (of which i, unfortunately, forgot most of what I had learned since then).

Anyhow, one thing I do remember is that they said it is generally well received by Muslims to be greeted by a westerner / white guy with "as salam alaikum", even when it is clearly obvious that I don't speak Arabic.

So, I just wanted to take advantage of the internet and reddit, and figured I'd open this question up to real Muslims who would like to offer their own opinions on this. I am genuinely interested in learning about other cultures (I'm American but grew up as a dual citizen with Germany, so I always had a healthy curiosity of other cultures, at least compared to my peers).

Ive used the greeting relatively often in my life since then when meeting a Muslim in various situations/scenarios, and it does seem to be well-received in general, but sometimes it's almost as if I'm making things somehow awkward for them (or embarrassing for me?) or something, which makes my anxiety constantly wonder whether what I am doing with genuine respect is actually seen as respectful, or whether perhaps I misunderstood anything?

Any other tips/advice ya'll would have for someone like me would be appreciated as well! Shukran!

P.S. I do the same for the phrase "thank you", I like to learn that phrase in different languages/cultures because I've always felt that that is a much better way of showing your gratitude for someone or something (i.e. by telling them so in their own natural language). So I suppose I'd ask the same question towards my use of "shukran" as my original questions, above. Anyhow, thanks!

submitted by /u/strokethekitty
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/6NG0Zbt
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours