Assalamu alaikum wrb brothers and sisters. Being a revert of 2 months now, I am so fortunate that my American Evangelical Christian mother still loves me for who I am. I have, however, ran into a lot of difficulty being home.

I just got home for college break and I have spoken to her for some hours about my beliefs. I have explained to her the basic concepts of Islam and how Muslims and Jews have different interpretations of the Judaic scriptures. She is very skeptical and does not see any other viewpoint outside of her own. I have given her tons of research I compiled to show her why I believe what I believe, but she is very close-minded. I would be surprised if she even opens my research.

She isn't fully respective of my beliefs either, I feel she takes it as a personal attack. She takes offense when I mention my viewpoint on Isa (pbuh), but freely says around me "Jesus is God". She also wants nothing to do with the Qu'ran, even though she says Muhammad (pbuh) is a prophet. She does not like when I say typical Muslim phrases (Ex: pbuh, subhanallah, mashallah) in the house. She does not want me to mention my faith to any of my family outside of my sisters. My whole family is Evangelical, so I doubt it would go over well. I find all of this hypocritical but nevertheless I try my hardest to give her the utmost respect and honor. She has said to me "I would like you to go to church to Christmas", to which I responded with, "I would never force you to come to masjid, why are you putting me in this uncomfortable scenario?"

My questions are:

  • I would like to honor my parents, but I feel this crosses the line of my comfort. Is it haram for me to go to church?
  • Out of respect for the family I told her I will attend our family get-together for the holidays. To what extent should I "celebrate" Christmas?
  • I have continuously made du'a on her being more open minded. What other actions can I take to draw a respectful boundary going forward?
  • Are there any ayats I can use in prayer for a situation like this?

Thank you all :)

submitted by /u/Possible-Attention-5
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3GDMxCc
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours