The contrast is great from when I took the shahada several years ago. When the community was so accepting of me. Several have also been helpful when it comes to helping me how to pray, read Arabic and have enthusiastically shared knowledge about the faith.

But, when I started to inquire about marriage I noticed a change. That warmth and talk of an ummah was not there then. Either they say inshAllah that they will talk to people (nothing happens), that I have to be patient/sabr (it's been a couple of years now..), or that I have to somehow find someone on my own terms. I have tried online dating with Muslims from all over the country, but most want to marry someone who is either from their own village, country or at least region. Even brothers I have known for many years and had a lot of contact with say they either can't or won't help.

Several have started saying I simply have to find a wife from my own ethnicity and make her a Muslim. If only it were that simple. Getting women in my country who have grown up in a western culture to embrace Islam is anything but easy. When it comes to marriage, most of them would accept a cultural Muslim at best. But one who wants a Sunnah marriage, forget it. And converted Muslims are generally looked down upon and with suspicion by non-Muslims here.

This has been difficult, and to be honest quite a bitter lesson to learn.

submitted by /u/Relative-Total228
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/Yts5XJf
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours