Hey everyone. I have been a teacher for ten years and recently took an 8th grade teaching position in the Chicagoland area. Throughout the course of my career, I have worked with students from diverse backgrounds, but I haven’t worked with a large group of Muslim students since I was a young kiddo in my first year of teaching. I’m a white man. The school I’m at is about 40% white, 40% Arabic, and 20% other groups. This means that I’ll most likely have a significantly higher percentage of Muslim students than in years past.

I remember my first year teaching I had a parent teacher conference with a wonderful Muslim family, and at the start of the meeting I went to shake both the husband’s and wife’s hands. After a little awkwardness, the wife let me know that that is something she would not do. I did not know this at the time and felt foolish for not knowing. I’d like to think the parents and I had a great relationship- their kiddo was fantastic, but even now it’s one of those ‘I’ll forever cringe at myself’ memories. I’d like to be as respectful and knowledgeable of my students and their families, so my question is this-

Muslim parents- what advice or knowledge can you share with me that would help a white, male teacher such as myself better understand the Muslim families I will be working with?

I’ve started reading online about some things, but I feel like asking here (and people in my community) would help me immensely. Thanks!

submitted by /u/lipservice90
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/IuAbm8e
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours