I have a good friend who converted to Islam and has become very devout. He is highly active in the local muslim community and frequently invites me to events and celebrations. Usually these will involve prayer sessions.

I am a Jew, but I have a great admiration for Islam, and will generally participate in these services, prayed alongside the Muslims and in the same manner.

Our rabbis are pretty clear that while it is not acceptable to pray in a christian church due to the problematic nature of their triune G-dhead and flirtation with idolatry, there is a strong consensus that it is acceptable to pray in a mosque, as no one could credibly accuse Islam of idolatry or polytheism.

However, I recently began to wonder if I am committing an act of disrespect by ostensibly crashing their service without informing those around me that I have not performed the sahhada and have no intention to do so.

Some important things to note:
1. While those I am with are praying towards Mecca, I myself am praying towards Jerusalem (they are in the same direction from where I am).

  1. At some point I usually will also stand apart in the back of the room and recite the Amidah, the Alenu, and the Shema (in a whisper, so as not to disturb the proceedings).

So the question is, is there anything within the Quran which would indicate that I should not do this?
Is my recitation of Jewish prayers inappropriate for the setting?
Should I speak to the Imam at the mosque in question and ask him if it's okay for me to pray there in that manner?

submitted by /u/HaraldRedtooth
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/u0pQmZi
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours