I have always found myself drawn to making maps, charts, diagrams, and trees instead of conventional bullet points or just writing things out. Using visual and spatial representations of information always seemed natural to me.

It got me wondering - what did the ulema do?

For example, in the link here you can find how mind maps and trees have been used by authors throughout millennia, including Arab/Muslim authors. How common was this?

https://www.mind-mapping.org/blog/roots-of-visual-mapping/

I think some Islamic knowledge traditions, such as that of Mauritania, don't really even use notes but rely solely on memorization of texts and then the oral discussion and explanation and fleshing out of the content. From what I understand, they do write down things on tablets, but only to memorize and later erase, not to actually keep as a notebook reference.

submitted by /u/Far7anR
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3CHIAzh
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours