Frankly, my imaan has been shaken up quite a lot over the past year to the point where i dont consider myself a religious person. This is a severe identity change for me. I used to be nicknamed maulvi growing up, my identity was tied to my religion. Id always been the best read of everyone in my group with regards to Islam growing up.

Whilst i have a little animosity towards Islam, the one thing i value the most is the community ties we have. As second generation Muslims living in the west, its common to hear stories about people back home and the connection our parents have to them. Sometimes i feel a tinge of envy, over the fact that I will never experience these connections.

Its beautiful the way our parents communities were organised. Last night, my parents sat down and got talking. A friend of my dads had passed away and all his friends sat down and set up a fund for the deceased daughter, promising to educate her throughout her university career. None of them did it for any reason but Islam with absolutely no self promotion and i found that admirable. Communities which take care of each other are the ones that thrive.

This sparked up a discussion, and I asked my parents to tell me more of the zakat we give. The in-depth consideration they give to every past neighbour, every member of the family is mind blowing. Entire villages are raised with money coming from foreign remittances, from people who never forgot their roots. The Islamic notion of give to those closest to you, has never shone brighter than in our parents generation. Although thousands of miles apart, those ancestral ties are still honoured, relationships are maintained and the communal ties are kept. This is my favourite part of Islam.

My parents recounted off the top of their heads, which family members they had given either zakat to to stave off an emergency, or a loan to start a business to break the cycle of poverty. Alhamdullilah no one in my close family is eligible for Zakat, a prime reason being the close familial ties we've enjoyed. The communal responsibilities of a Muslim should absolutely be revered and honoured, much in the same way we emphasise on the individual responsibilities.

I dont know how i will grow up to be as a Muslim, and how closely will i be attached to my Deen. But i do hope, God Willing, that i get the chance to support my local community in the same way that my parents have done and continue their example.

I think i just felt like writing this!

submitted by /u/crickypop
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3rd1Uyq
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours