Islam says that a man can't imitate a woman and vice versa but what defines what characteristics are feminine and what are masculine. Throughout history, such as in ancient Egypt and Rome, men and women would wear makeup but now it is seen as a feminine thing (tho there has been progression in the past few years). The Prophet SAW would use kohl on his eyes but it is now also seen as a beauty product. I feel that gender characteristics are a social construct as what defines a woman and what defines a man changes with time and place.

This can also be seen with clothing as a man wearing a dress or skirt would be haram but there are places around the world where variations of these garments are worn by men, such as the kilt in Scotland, thobe in middle east, and the South Asian skirts (veshti/sarong). This demonstrates how it is the society that deems something masculine, feminine, or unisex. So basically I believe that if our society created a garment that resembled a woman's piece of clothing but was solely for men it would be deemed okay to wear in Islam. Does my thinking on this make sense?

I totally went off topic but I'm trying to say that if society determines what makes a man or woman then who's to say if makeup or dresses are okay for men to wear. I don't know if I made any sense but I would love to hear other people's opinions on this (especially if your well-educated in Islam).

submitted by /u/Feeble-Bellyflop
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3owPMXc
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours