I'm a 9th grade world history teacher in the US. I teach the basics of every religion and have for 19 years. I'm constantly revising what and how I teach religions based on conversations I have with students, families, and other teachers.

Today I had a Muslim student stop me a the start of my lesson and say that I need to say "peace be upon him" every time I mention Muhammad, and that it was offensive not to. I explained that I was unaware of that, that none of my students have ever told me this before, but I would look into it further and let her know what I find out before doing so. She agreed, and as I continued to teacher she quietly added the words whenever I said Muhammad's name. (I'm totally okay with this)

My question: As a teacher (and a non-muslim) I feel that I'm in a lose-lose situation. By adding PBUH it may be taken as offensive by my non-muslim students. But by not adding it I may be offending my Muslim students (I have 1 or 2 in every class) which I don't want to do either.

Do I have to add PBUH as a non-muslim public school teacher?

Thank you!

[Serious, Respectful, & Helpful responses only please]

submitted by /u/sno_boarder
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/393Xq5y
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours