Salam, Just hoping for some input on an interfaith relationship, and hoping that this forum is the right place to post in. I recognise that this is a bit of an unconventional issue and would appreciate any constructive, open-minded advice.

I am a 23yo F, Indian by background but born/brought up in a western country, family is culturally Hindu but I consider myself spiritual and believe in God but don't affiliate myself with any particular religion. I am in a relationship with a British Pakistani Muslim man who is also the same age - he is Pakistani by background, but like me, born and brought up in a western country. We've been in a committed relationship for over a year and have every intention of getting married in the future, as we have a very similar worldview and are culturally very similar as well (Indian/Pakistani origin brought up overseas).

Our pre-marital relationship has a strong emotional foundation and we haven't committed zina and have no intention of doing so before we are married. However, he has had a premarital sexual relationship in the past with a long-term Muslim girlfriend. He also drinks alcohol, eats pork etc, but at the same time is spiritually Muslim and prays, fasts etc. He himself is evidently not super religious, but his family is - his grandfather is actually an Imam. He said there is no compulsion for me to convert/revert, and I appreciate this as although I consider Islam a good religion based on my reading of the Quran, I don't think changing myself so drastically for marriage should be required, and it would also hurt my family's feelings. Despite this, I would be happy to educate myself about Islam, and raise my children as good Muslims who are culturally sensitive and can appreciate that other people follow different religions/cultural traditions (e.g. Diwali).

Was just hoping for some advice/input on how to best navigate the situation of disclosing this relationship to his family and seeking their blessings. This relationship is genuine and loving, and I hope that marriage will be possible with family approval on both ends.

Many thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/sanii123
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3myxJzT
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours