I converted about 3 months ago and I've been happier than ever. I've been researching, learning and reading the Qur'an daily, asking Allah to give me the courage to say something. I am 17, am a senior in Highschool and the daughter to a non-practicing Eastern Orthodox Widower. I don't really have a strong relationship with my mother as we have drifted apart during my teenage years but she is very focused on others perception of her and me because I am her oldest child.

Ever since I've converted I've felt better, I've battled depression and anxiety for most of my life but whenever I pray or read the Qur'an I feel so calm and safe. But recently my mother has been home more often, getting home earlier and barging into my room around prayer times. I've had to jam my door before I pray because I fear her walking in and seeing me. With this increasing anxiety and the idea of family holidays coming up, I've been trying to think of a way to lightly tell my conservative mother about me converting.

My main fear is that she will kick me out. Nearly the entirety of my mother's side of the family is conservative and there is no diversity in religion. They are all either non-practicing or practicing Eastern Orthodox Church members. I want to be comfortable at family gatherings, be happy and not feel hidden. For me that is being modest. I love wearing the hijab and even now the niqab is something I would want to try. I've always been modest, but I want to be proud of my religion not hide it.

How should I go about telling my mother about my conversion?

submitted by /u/amirapyro
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/2TE8lvr
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours