I'm an amateur woodworker and to practice some techniques I've decided to make some gifts for people at my work (I'm a postdoc in a research lab). For example, for one person from China, I carved a set of chopsticks and spoons and he seemed to love them. For a handful of guys that would go out (pre-covid) after work for beers, I'm making some bottle opener handles on a lathe.

There's one grad student in the lab that is Muslim and I thought it would be nice to make something for her relating in some way to Islam. The only thing I know about her that might be relevant is that she's from Bangladesh. I don't know much about Islam beyond what I learned in a college class and therefore I have really no jumping-off points for ideas, so here I am. I don't want to make something cheesy/tacky or something overly religious that's going to make her feel pigeon-holed (like I wouldn't want to make a Crucifix for a Christian). I also don't want it to be too personal, like something she would want to think about before she bought for herself. I want something casual (think the implements mentioned above). It doesn't even have to do specifically with religion. In fact, maybe it would be better if it wasn't a religious item, but still useful for a Muslim person.

So any ideas? Is it even a good idea to consider her religion when thinking of ideas? Are there any issues that I should be wary of as someone ignorant to pretty much all things Islam? I'm open to any form of feedback from "This is a bad idea, steer away from relating her religion." to general thoughts to specific gift ideas. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks in advance! And if there is a more suitable subreddit for this type of post, please let me know.

submitted by /u/thr_unreal
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/3jIvvMk
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours