Due to the quarantine, I've had more free time and have been reading Qu'ran. I have a copy of the Qu'ran with an English translation (I don't speak Arabic), along with the Quran app on my phone. Every day I read the English translation of each verse while listening to the Arabic ayat through my earphones.

It's working decently well, but honestly, I feel as though my understanding of the Quran is very very shallow and I'm really only understanding an incredibly surface level of each verse. Obviously each ayat of the Quran has its own historical context, and of course, a simple translation will never cover that.

In High School, our Literature teacher gave us kind of an introduction to the Bible and he spoke a lot about the structure of the Bible, how its significant, the different themes each chapter has, and the narrative arch of different stories. Does something like this exist for the Quran?

I've been listening to a lot of Shaykh Hamza Yusuf's speeches posted on his YouTube Channel or the different Rihla's that are on Deen Stream and honestly some of them just move me to tears. All my life I've seen Islam belittled and insulted, mocked and humiliated, and to have someone of so much knowledge explain that our tradition really has immense value has really inspired me.

The Shaykh talks a lot about how the Quran at a surface level and at a first glance seems very disorganized. But he says after you really analyze it you see it has an immense structure. It's something that requires deeper analysis to see the beauty of.

This leads me to my cry for help. Does anyone have any good resources for an English explanation of the Quran? Chapter by chapter, what is being said, how it's being said, and why it's being said in that way. I've heard these are called "Tafsir", but to be honest I don't really know what that means or where to find it.

Any help is much appreciated! Forgive me if this question has been asked before, I'm a little new to this sub :)

submitted by /u/TheGreatEmpire
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/33THZKk
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours