Assalamualaikum

Let me just say i am a practicing muslim, and have been all my life, my question today is just to have a conversation of my thoughts on mortgages. I am here to learn and inshalla someone of knowledge can explain. Please beleive me i have tons of research in this topic, i did my dissertation in islamic banking finance, I myself am a chartered accountant with years of experience in finance and business. I am well aware of the hadiths detailing the sin of riba and the insane effects it can have on an economy, the way interest is manipulated to raise inflation and make the nation more poor everyday.

My question is specifically just on mortgages and the classifican that it is of riba

So the classification is that because lenders will lend money and charge/increase the end total repayment this is classed as riba. Money should only be used for exchange, it itself is not a product therefore we are forbidden to deal with ageeements where more money is demanded.

But my question why can money not be classed as an instrument/product, There is a real difference in wealth and business opportunities when talking about £200k rather than £200.

For example for 200k i am able to buy a house and use it for living or business renting purposes, the money itself has allowed me to do that, the money in this mortgage agreement is an instrument that allowed me to do this. Surely because of the high amount its not longer just used as a form of exchange but used as a product which allows purchase of newer possibilities. For that reason i think the interest charged is fair game, the lender is not making money out of nothing, he is making money out of providing a service, an agreement in which never would have been possible, me paying the interest is also justified, i am gaining something that i could not have done without the lender, to me its just the cost of doing business, just like any premium i would pay on other services or products.

I apologies if i have come accross ignorant, please let me know if i should clarify anything

Thanks

submitted by /u/Buttsoupcity
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/34u8tkH
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours