I have a question about Muslim names. My parents seem to have this conception that Muslim names have to be Arabic names, and that if you can't tell somebody is instantly Muslim by their name, the name isn't a Muslim name. My cousin recently named her son "Zidan", and even though that's clearly a Muslim name, my father criticized it by saying that "It's an international name" and not "an obvious Muslim name". I'll be honest, I got kind of annoyed. I told him that just because it isn't an obvious Muslim name doesn't mean that it's bad, but he disagreed. Honestly, they seem to have a nationalist view of Islam. In their eyes, there's "our names" and then there's "their names", and any name that isn't Arabic isn't "ours".

Recently, we were having a conversation about what I would name my children if Inshallah I have some one day, and I told them that if I have a son, I would like the name Zlatan. They got upset, unsurprisingly, and so I justified my choice by saying that Muslims are required to have names that don't have bad meanings. That really is the main requirement. If you have a name with no real meaning it's alright, but names with bad meanings should be changed. Not only that, but I pointed out that not only does the name Zlatan not have a bad meaning, it actually has a nice meaning. I'm a Bosniak, and in Bosnian, Zlatan means "Golden". I told them that just because the name isn't Arabic doesn't mean it's a non-Muslim name.

submitted by /u/junkratmain
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/34NuHy8
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours