Salaam, everyone.

The tile explains it all. However, there are a few things I need to understand that just aren’t clear to me. Sufism is supposed to be more metaphysical / introspective in terms of the way one worships, right? There’s a Sufi masjid close to where I live and I’ve been to it twice. Everyone was very kind there, but what I don’t get is what exactly does it mean to be a Sufi? Are they strict in terms of fiqh, or do they tend to be more laid back about rules / laws and focus on the individual relationship with god? It sounds weird even saying that, since every Muslim is supposed to have an individual relationship through prayer / etc. I don’t know though, there’s just something different about Sufis, but I can’t quite understand how to put it into words.

Do most Sufis have an order / follow someone? I just need answers. I don’t have an interest in becoming a Sufi, but I don’t feel comfortable asking my friend (who is Sufi) questions like this. These last few years have been a struggle with my faith / doubts, and I feel like I’m being pulled in different directions and it messes with me even more.

Also, does anyone out there know about Bawa Muhaiyaddeen? I know he died years ago, but it seems like he’s borderline worshipped, even referred to as “his holiness.” I just get a lot of bidah vibes, but allahu allim. The men and women at his “masjid” worship together. There’s something about all of this that just goes beyond my comfort zone.

submitted by /u/loveiscoffee
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/2JnaK94
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours