I’m an 18 year old Muslim American that’s struggling with parts of my religion. Today I attended a Janazah prayer for the first time in my life. The man who passed away was someone in our local community, but not someone i personally knew well at all. Something that happened there made me kind of angry. When it was time to do the burial, the imam said in the mosque that only the men can carry the body to the grave site. So we did that and everyone took turns carrying the man to the site. And then all the men threw in the dirt as we traditionally do, but what really angered me is that the wife and daughter of the man could not take part in this at all. Here I was helping carry this man and helping put dirt into the pit when I barely knew him. If anyone should take part in this it is his wife and daughter. That is the last opportunity they have to see the presence of their father/husband and for religious reasons they can’t see him one last time. I asked my dad about this in the car and he said it’s because women are too emotional and the quaran says it has to be this way. In my mind this isn’t a morally right justification at all. The son of the man who died was crying the entire time, why does it matter if the women are emotional, that is a part of grieving. The daughter even tried to go to the burial site and the men turned her away. How can this be just? The women should have the right to be a part of this process just as much as the men are. It doesn’t matter if your emotional or crying, a man has died. How can there be a just reason for them NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE THE BURIAL. I felt so bad that I, a young kid who barely knew this man, was able to say goodbye to him more intimately than his wife and daughter was. Please someone answer this question for me, I don’t know where else to ask this.

submitted by /u/WatchAndrewYangOnJRE
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/2lkvSUn
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours