Hey r/Islam, I've posted here a few times before but there's still a question that I guess got never fully answered, so i thought I'd ask it here too.

For this I'm gonna use an anecdote (I think that's the right word? Lol). Let's take one person, let's call him Omar. Omar is born into a strict Muslim family in Saudi Arabia. He is born and raised in SA, a Muslim country, with Muslim beliefs from his family. Living in SA, he is fully encouraged to practice his faith to the fullest extent, as he has ample access to Mosques. He is not greatly influenced by non Muslim beliefs, due to living in SA, and doesn't partake in sins such as drinking alcohol or pre marital sex, since these are illegal in his home country. He will marry according to Islamic beliefs, again since this is the legality of his country, and will his raise his children in the exact same way. According to Islam, he will go to paradise with no issue, since he has followed the word of Islam to the book.

Let's compare Omar to me. I was born into a Hindu family in India, but I moved to the UK when I was young. I was raised according to Hindu tradition and beliefs, my childhood is filled with happy memories of my temple and my mum putting me to sleep with stories of our Gods. I live in a country with freedom of religion and few restrictions, so I have been exposed to things considered sinful ie drinking, casual sex etc. I will likely spend the rest of my life in this country, so will raise my kids in the same environment. According to Islam, I have sinned greatly, and will be sent to the hellfire for eternity.

But if you look at the lives that both of us have led, it is much easier for Omar than me. Omar has basically simply had to keep his down and do what he is told, and he will go to heaven. He has been programmed from birth to do so. There is little challenge for him to do this. I have not been exposed to Islam until we learned about it in school, and I had Muslim friends who invited me to eat with them and we would discuss it.

The answer I got from the Imam is that life is simply a test, for us all. But there is virtually no test for Omar. For me to convert to Islam would mean to turn my back on my childhood, my family would probably be fine with it but they would be disappointed. I would have to change my entire life effectively. For Omar he has had to do nothing but do what he is told.

Obviously I know he still has to put in effort ie pray, go to the mosque, but it is certainly easier. Like I said, he is in an environment where Islam is the dominant force, born into a Muslim family, it would be difficult for him to not be a good Muslim.

But we are both judged on the same merit. According to Islam, it would not matter. The fact is I am a sinner, and will go to the hell fire. It doesn't take into account my up bringing, my character, my life, my background. Even for my parents, my dad is a doctor, my mum a teacher, spent their lives helping people and saving lives. Yet they will still be thrown into the hell fire without mercy, due to almost no fault of their own, their crime was not being born into a Muslim family.

This is the main issue I can't wrap my head around. Any answers or views would be appreciated. Thank you.

submitted by /u/Throwawy26363
[link] [comments]

from Islam http://bit.ly/2wlyHac
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours