Assalamu Alaikum Redditors

So my question is about the Devil, Shaytaan, Lucifer, Beezlebub, whatever you want to call him.

Bit of a background

I am a Muslim brother, originally from Pakistan, lived in Canada, but finished school back in Pakistan, now heading for Uni. I don't associate myself with any sect, and try living as close to Hadith as I can in my current environment.

I started wondering this recently, and wanted to come here since I am not so well versed in Quran and Hadith, so I don't want to make any ill informed decisions on this topic after taking in some info on the internet.

It came about after I finished watching this show called Lucifer. It's basically about the devil coming to Earth, because he is tired of ruling hell, and he ends up working with a detective in the LAPD. Throughout the show, a bunch of Biblical characters show up and address a very common theme in the series, which is also where question comes from.(Also, watch Lucifer, great show)

The series shows the Devil as misunderstood and not the spirit of evil itself. Rather, it shows him as not the root of Evil, but an influencer. In the show, he is always scorning God by following his own desires, and urging others to do the same. It shows the Devil as also being just. Since the devil rules hell, he tortures those who deserve it, but hates those who punish the innocent, saying he only punishes the guilty. In one episode he also says that the devil doesn't make you do anything, humans do plenty of evil on their own.

So from there, I had a couple questions:

  1. What is Islam's view on the Devil? I mean does Islam view the Devil as inherently evil, or is he only evil because we see him as such. And in that case what does he have to do with the punishment of the wrong-doers.
  2. Is it then safe to assume that since the Devil doesn't make you do anything, he simply eggs you on? Like that bad friend just tempting you to hit a joint or take one puff of a cigar.
  3. Finally, can we then say that we have desires deep within our hearts, that the Devil simply brings forward and urges us with? Like say during Ramadan, the Devil is locked up, therefore any bad deed we do, is completely our fault.

This is a really long question, so those of you who take the time to read, and answer it, I would very much appreciate it. I just had all this swirling in my head, since the show brought up so many concepts and perspectives onto a subject that I thought was very straight forward.

Once again Assalamu Alaikum, and thank you. :)

submitted by /u/Hashim4097
[link] [comments]

from Islam https://ift.tt/2D35jt5
Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours